Friday, October 14, 2005

I ALSO READ TENNYSON

(from the list of first lines)

I
A million emeralds break from the ruby budded lime……427
Ah, God! The petty fools of rhyme!………………………230

II
A spirit haunts the year’s last hours…………………………27
A still small voice spake unto me………………………….178
A storm was coming, but the winds were still……………..528
A voice by the cedar tree…………………………………...431

III
Below the thunders of the upper deep……………………….40
Be near me when my light is low…………………………..345

IV
Cold and clear cut face, why come you so cruelly meek…..427
Come not, when I’m dead…………………………………....................407
Come, when no graver cares employ………………………..............478

V
Contemplate all this work of Time………………………….............392
Could I have said while he was here………………………............362
Could I outwear my present state of woe………………….........715
Could we forget the widow’d hour…………………………..............340

Dear friend, far off, my lost desire…………………………..........398
Dear, near and true—no truer Time himself……………….........677

Ere yet my heart was sweet Love’s tomb…………………...........712
Here, it is here—the close of the year……………………….........689

VI
‘Courage!’ he said, and pointed toward the land…………….....90
Courage, poor heart of stone………………………………................458

Dark house by wich once more I stand……………………............321
Dead, long dead……………………………………………........................461

Did I hear it half in a doze…………………………………................435

Do we indeed desire the dead………………………………..................346
Doors, where my heart was used to beat……………………............393

Dost thou look back on what hath been…………………….............352
Dust are our frames; and, gilded dust, our pride…………….....647

VII
Heaven weeps above the earth all night till morn…………......714
Her arms across her breast she laid………………………….............219
Her eyes are homes of silent prayer………………………….............336

Here, it is here—the close of the year………………….............689
How fares it with the happy dead……………………………...............342

VIII
I dream’d there would be Spring no more……………………...........355
I held it truth, with him who sings……………………………318
I sing to him that rests below…………………………………330
I sometimes hold it half a sin…………………………………320
Is it, then, regret for buried time………………………………391
It was the time when lilies blow………………………………212
Lo, as a dove when up she springs……………………………324

IX
I cannot see the features right…………………………………356
I had a vision when the night was late………………………...220
I knew an old wife lean and poor……………………………..121
I know her by her angry air…………………………………...107
I know that this was Life,--the track…………………………..332

I’m glad I walk’d. How fresh the meadow look………………144
I past beside the reverend walls……………………………….368

X
I shall not see thee. Dare I say…………………………………373
I thought to pass away before, and yet alive I am………………88
I trust I have not wasted breath………………………………...393
I vex my heart with fancies dim……………………………….342
I wage not any feud with death………………………………..362

XI
My heart is wasted with my woe………………………………...40
My life has crept so long on a broken wing…………………….465
My life is full of weary days……………………………………..46
My love has talk’d with rocks and trees………………………...377
My own dim life should teach me this…………………………..337
Mistery of misteries………………………………………………28

XII
Nature, so far as in her lies………………………………………685
Now sleeps the crimson petal, now the white……………………307
O Lady Flora, let me speak………………………………...191
O Love, Love, Love! O withering might……………………66
O thou whose fringed lids I gaze upon…………………….714
O true and tried, so well and long…………………………399
O good for him whose will is strong……………………....479
On that last night befor we went…………………………...381

XIII
Sea-king’s daughter from over the sea………………………………….....620
See what a lovely shell………………………………………………….............455
Shall the hag Evil die with child of Good……………………………...715
Slow sail’d the weary mariners and saw………………………………......44
So dark a mind within me dwells……………………………………….........422

XIV
Still on the tower stood the vane………………………………………..473
Still onward winds the dreary way……………………………………...333
Strange, that I felt so gay………………………………………………..450
Sweet and low, sweet and low…………………………………………..255
Sweet is true love tho’ given in vain, in vain…………………………...574

XV
The path by wich we twain did go………………………………………330
The plain was grassy, wild and bare……………………………………...36
The poet in a golden clime was born……………………………………...31
The rain has fallen, the Poet arose……………………………………….227

XVI
The woods decay, the woods decay and fall………………….616
This truth came borne with bier and pall………………………...365
Tho’ truths in manhood darkly join……………………………………...338
Thy converse drew us with delight………………………………………387
Thy voice is heard thro’ rolling drums…………………………………..278
Thy voice is on the rolling air……………………………………………398
‘Tis well; ‘tis something; we may stand…………………………………328
To-night the winds begin to rise…………………………………………326
To-night ungather’d let us leave…………………………………………383

XVII
To-night ungather’d let us leave…………………………………………383
To Sleep I give my powers away………………………………………...491
Unwatch’d, the garden bough shall sway………………………..380
We sleep and wake and sleep, but all things move……………228

XVIII
Uplift a thousand voices full and sweet………………………………….619
Urania speaks with darken’d brow………………………………………339
Vex not thou the poet’s mind……………………………………………..32
Voice of the summerwind………………………………………………..711

XIX
What does little birdie say………………………………………………..615
What hope is here for modern rhyme…………………………………….360
What time I wasted youthful hours………………………………………733
What words are these have fall’n from me………………………………327
Whatever I have said or sung…………………………………………….396
Wheer ‘asta bean saw long and mea liggin’ ‘ere aloan…………..668

XX
When I contemplate all alone……………………………………………676
Who can I say……………………………………………………………729
Who fears to die? Who fears to die?………………………………717
With half a glance upon the sky…………………………………………..30
With such compelling cause to grieve…………………………..334
With weary steps I loiter on……………………………………………..340

XXI
You did late review my lays……………………………………………..730
You might have won the Poet’s name…………………………………...314
You say, but with no touch of scorn……………………………………..376

XXII
You ask me, why, tho’ ill at ease………………………………………..713
You cast to ground the hope wich once was mine……....730
You leave us: you will see the Rhine……………………………………378
You thought my heart too far diseased…......354

Read by Gali-Dana Singer

No comments: